Updated on October 25, 2015
Five Breastfeeding Essentials
Those early days of breastfeeding can be a challenge. Breastfeeding isn’t always easy and sometimes it’s downright painful, but don’t lose hope, it does get better and it does get easier. There are some key items that you can have on hand that make the harder days of early nursing just a little bit more bearable. Here are the five essentials that my breastfeeding self just could not live without.
1. Nipple Cream. This is a big one, especially in the early days of nursing. Even if your baby isn’t thrashing your nipples, a good nipple cream is indispensable. My favourite is Substance Nipple Creme. It doesn’t contain any lanolin (which can stain clothing) and it’s safe for baby to ingest. Best of all? You can put this stuff on anything! It’s great for runny noses to prevent irritation and dryness, chapped lips, teething rashes on baby’s cheeks (face cheeks, not bum cheeks), I’ve even used it on a sunburn King Dad got this past summer.
2. Breast Pads. I will preface this by saying that not every nursing mother leaks, but I leak A LOT. Breast pads are a must have and I carry extras in my diaper bag at all times. In the early days when leaking is at its peak I swear by Lansinoh nursing pads, but once the leaking lightens up a bit I much prefer using reusable nursing pads. Bamboobies are my preference. They have a milk proof outer lining, a cotton and hemp core, and a bamboo rayon velour inner that’s super soft against your skin.
3. Nursing Pillow. I actually used my nursing pillow very little after Petit Prince was born, but when The Heir was born it was really helpful. The My Brest Friend nursing pillow is awesome. It wraps right around your body (sort of like a floatation device…) and clips closed. The benefit to that is the excellent back support it provides. The pillow where baby lays for feeding has two raised bumps on each side that helps lift baby’s head up to the breast. It also has a handy pocket on it that I used to stash a granola bar (because night time feedings will make you HUNGRY).
4. Nursing Bras. These are a must. Get fitted so you are properly supported and comfortable. I love having a nursing bra that not only supports and is comfortable, but also looks nice. Nothing like a little lace to make you feel just a bit less like a milk machine. HotMilk nursing bras check all the boxes for me!
5. Undercover Mama Nursing Tanks. These aren’t just any nursing tank. No no. These are better. I’ve never been able to find a nursing tank with a built in bra that actually fits my frame AND provides adequate support. This is not the case with the Undercover Mama because it clips onto your favourite nursing bra. That’s right. Any nursing bra. Now you can nurse baby without exposing your stomach! This isn’t necessarily an item you’re going to be using the day after baby arrives because, let’s be honest, you’ll spend most of that first month postpartum not even wearing a shirt. However, when you’re ready to wear clothes again, these are awesome.
There you have it! Those are the five breastfeeding essentials that I adore!
Would you add anything to this list? Was there a breastfeeding item you couldn’t live without?
This post contains affiliate links.